MSO9208 - St John's Church and Churchyard, Cutcombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Cutcombe Church is dedicated to St. Laurence, an ancient structure consisting of nave, chancel and north aisle with a tower at the west end.  Ecton, Bacon and Carlisle maintain the church is dedicated to St. John, which appears to be correct as the present incumbent was inducted to the vicarage of the church of St. John in the parish of Cutcombe.  St. John's Church, mostly 1862 with 13th Century west tower and 13th or early 14th Century sandstone pier with base and capital and the shafts of others.  St.John's church, name on Notice-board, is in normal use. SS93NW CUTCOMBE CP CUTCOMBE VILLAGE 10/37 Church of St John 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church. C13 tower, C13-early C14 north aisle, 1713 east wall of north aisle rebuilt, 1862 extensively restored reseated, and south aisle, south chapel and south porch added, 1971 reroofed. Mid C19 work by C E Giles, builders Pearse of Minehead and Hole of Dunster. Random rubble, upper stage of tower roughcast, slate roofs, coped verges, truncated stack west gable end of south aisle, west tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay north aisle, 2-bay organ chamber, chancel, 4-bay south aisle, 2-bay south chapel, south porch. Two-stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light window west end of aisle, south front single storey gabled porch, unbuttressed, with moulded pointed arch springing from engaged columns, C19 inner door; three 2-light windows right, between buttresses with priest's door beyond, east end of aisle lancet, 3-light east window to chancel, 2-light cinquefoil headed window to east end of buttressed north aisle, 3 similar windows on north front, 2-light trefoil headed window beyond, 3-light cinquefoil headed window at west end. Interior: rendered, except for west end. C19 moulded arches to chapel and south Chapel with foliage capitals, unmoulded tower arch. C19 roofs with some old bosses in nave. Five-bay north arcade of octagonal piers without capitals except for eastern one, pointed arches; south arcade with vigorously carved foliage capitals. Base, stem and pillars of Norman font with C19 Italian marble bowl. Mid C19 Beer stone pulpit, panels carved with scenes from the bible; mid C19 stone reredos sculpted with da Vinci's Last Supper, reset in south chapel when the Arts and Crafts style ceramic, alabaster and glass mosaic reredos, dado and also the east window, were given in memory of Philip Pleydell Bouverie and his wife, died 1890 and 1892 respectively. The south aisle had been erected at their expense and contains glass by Clayton and Bell. (Photograph in NMR)  Graveyard in use since medieval times.  Socket and part of the shaft of a C14 churchyard cross in situ to the E of the S porch. On the W side of the octagonal shaft stump is a bracket which probably supported a sculptured figure.  The cross was restored in 1896 and is now predominantly 19th Century, but incorporates the socket stone and lower portion of the shaft as described by Pooley.  A marble tiled tablet in an alabaster frame commemorates six members of the parish who died in World War One.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1903..
- <2> SSO877 Monograph: Collinson J. 1791. History of Somerset. 2. 5-7.
- <3> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. 212-3.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 148.
- <5> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 23-AUG-65.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Kelly's Directory 1861.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Kelly's Directory 1906.
- <8> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) West Somer Dist (Carhampton et al) Somer 5.6.85 20.
- <9> SSO778 Unassigned: Aston, M. 23.11.76. Somerset County Council.
- <10> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C.. 1877. An historical and descriptive account of the old stone crosses of Somerset. 60.
- <11> SSO1738 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS93NW. 1.
- <12> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM ref. 1353.
- <13> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9309 3925 (88m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36652 (Pastscape entry: 36652)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.1353/fromUkniwmSearch/1 (UKNIWM entry reference 1353)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=542 (CHER ID: 601461)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/10/37
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601461
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10550
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11146
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36652
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33476
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33502
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31021
Record last edited
May 11 2021 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.