MSO9204 - Bronze Age bowl barrow at Lype Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 9503 3710). Tumulus (NR).  Cutcombe No 10, a ditched bowl barrow. The mound is 24 paces in diameter and 7 feet high, there is a ditch 4.5 paces wide and 2 feet deep. Visited by Grinsell 10th May 1952.  This is a ditched bowl barrow. The mound is 2.6 metres high and the ditch 0.9 metres deep. See authority 13 & 14. Published survey (1/2500) revised.  A prominent barrow on the ridge top. There is a large, irregular, east to west depression on top, clearly from robbing. Set in recently improved and fenced area.  Monument scheduled on 11 August 2003.  The Bronze Age bowl barrow described by the previous authorities was seen as an earthwork at SS 9503 3710 and mapped from aerial photographs. [11-12] Barrow on the summit of Lype Hill. It lies in improved pasture fields, but has been enclosed by a management fence. An Ordnance Survey Triangulation Pillar stands on its summit. The barrow comprises a circular earth covered mound 21 metres in diameter and 1.7 metres high. It is surrounded by a ditch 0.4 metres deep. The ditch is in good condition except on the south side where it lies outside the management fence. To the north of the barrow is a large quartz block, 1.3 metres high. It appears to have been erected in recent times. The barrow is very disturbed due to animal activity in the form of sheep scrapes and erosion around the base of the Triangulation Pillar. Nevertheless just visible through the turf around the crest of the mound on the south, is a rim of quartz blocks which appears to be original.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 30.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 23 August 1965.
- <4> SSO847 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 21.07.83. Somerset County Council.
- <5> SSO1136 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 20/8/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <6> SSO1787 Monograph: Phelphs, W. 1839. History of Somersetshire. 2, part II. P. 115.
- <7> SSO1778 Monograph: Page, J.L.W.. 1890. An Exploration of Exmoor and the Hill Country of West Somerset: With Notes on its Archaeology. P. 212.
- <8> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9536.
- <9> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4339.
- <10> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8752.
- <11> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. CUCAP (BAE 93) (26 November 1969).
- <12> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <13> SMO1404 Photograph: DITCHED BOWL BARROW AT CUTCOMBE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F187/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <14> SMO1403 Photograph: DITCHED BOWL BARROW AT CUTCOMBE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F187/4. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <15> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 March 1999.
- <16> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <17> SMO7206 Article in serial: Gamble, D.J.G.. 1969. Somerset archaeology and natural history : the pro. 113. 113, 1969. 30.
- <18> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9503 3711 (44m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/maps.aspx?a=0&hob_id=36596 (Original Monarch entry: 36596)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO193
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11163
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36596
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33493
Record last edited
Feb 1 2016 12:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.