MSO9084 - Roman finds in Dunster Park (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
In about 1863, some small copper coins of Constantine were found concealed under a stone in a gully in Dunster Park, near the old Carhampton road. They are now in the possession of Mr Luttrell. [1,2] These coins are no longer in the possession of the Luttrell's of Dunster Castle and they seem to have been lost. The old Carhampton road referred to probably crossed Dunster Park from Carhampton Gate, SS99864270, to Park Gate, SS98974309.  Additional bibliography. [4-6]
- <1> SMO5476 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Somerset. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 1. P.362.
- <2> SSO1778 Monograph: Page, J.L.W.. 1890. An Exploration of Exmoor and the Hill Country of West Somerset: With Notes on its Archaeology. P.201.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 2 September 1965.
- <4> SEM7562 Article in serial: Seaby, W.A.. 1952. Notes on Roman Coins from West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 97. P.191.
- <5> SEM8806 Article in serial: Maxwell Lyte, H.C.. 1880. Dunster and its Lords. Archaeological Journal. 37. Parts 1 to 4, pp57-93, 155-179, 271-293, 395-405. p57.
- <6> SSO1043 Article in serial: Dixon, J.. 1980. Somerset Parish Survey 3: Carhampton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. p21.
|Grid reference||SS 99 42 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36902 (Original Monarch entry: 36902)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12022
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE19
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36902
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34826
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 3:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.