MSO8972 - Northbrook Pit / Lothbrook Pit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"Lothbrook Pit", disused was marked on the 6" 1962. It was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company mines and iron ore was obtained from here from 1830. An advert was published in 1841 for its sale with a "newly erected mill and forge, with a Vaughan's Blast Engine, the whole worked by water". It was at work throughout the 1840s and closed in the 1850s, but was reopened in 1880 with a level to the northeast (Lothbrook Level). Its final closure was in 1883. It had a portable engine. [1-5] Mine workings visible only as subtle earthworks and a blocked drainage adit.  The working is annotated on the Ordnance Survey first edition County Series map of 1868-1901 as Northbrook Pit. By the second edition of 1902-1907 it is annotated as Lothbrook Pit. [7,8] One of three trial pits dug by Sir Thomas Lethbridge from 1839 was at Withial Hill, which became known as Lothbrook Mine. [9,10]
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. 14-17, 39, 41.
- <3> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 6.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3336.
- <5> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8810.
- <6> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. P.32.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.15.
- <10> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P.2,5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9853 3552 (475m by 308m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128012 (Original Monarch entry: 1128012)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11125
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE47
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128012
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33423
Record last edited
Apr 27 2020 12:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.