MSO8895 - Higher Eastcott deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
The deserted farmstead of Higher Eastcott is shown on the Withiel Florey tithe map of 1839 to the south of its present location but north of Lower Eastcott Farm. Some of the farm buildings appear to occupy the same site as Middle Eastcott Cottage. [1,2] The 1962 6 inch map marks small enclosures and a few buildings.  Three derelict buildings with low banks and the remains of small sheds.  Possible mill site present.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of the site shows a possible leat flowing into a pond. There is also a sluice further to the north. Several buildings are also present. 
- <1> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 89.
- <2> SSO711 Map: Pursey, R.P.. 1839. Withiel Florey Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1".
- <3> SSO1631 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SE.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9934.
- <5> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8871.
- <6> SSO1937 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Jan 1989. Somerset County Council to owner.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 992 342 (99m by 177m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118225 (Original Monarch entry: 1118225)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11109
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE33
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118225
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33406
Record last edited
Apr 20 2018 10:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.