MSO8880 - Post-medieval dyeworks southwest of Bury (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Dyehouse cottage" "Dyehouse wood" and "Dyehouse cross" marked on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map.  A leat is shown on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch map map running from SS94102677 alongside Dyehouse lane to Dyehouse Cross at SS 9360 2650. The building was known as Dyehouse Cottage on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] Probable that the Dyehouse stood along it [the leat?].  Dye House, at SS 9425 2688, is shown on the Tithe Map for Brompton Regis within land parcel 1698. The accompanying Apportionment describes this as "Dye House and Garden", although it is not clear whether this is the building's name or its function. It was owned by Earl Carnarvon and occupied by William Smith. There are various other fields surrounding the building incorporating the name "Dye House", including "Western Dye House" (1704, SS 9436 2681), "Lower Dye House" (1699, SS 9435 2692) and "Higher Dye House" (1701, SS 9445 2687). Further investigation is needed. [6,7]
- <1> SSO1623 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS92NW.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, 67(8).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 8 March 1984.
- <5> SEM7819 Report: Adkins, L. + Adkins, R.A.. 1993. Wimbleball Pumped Storage, Haddeo Route: Archaeological Assessment. 4.4.
- <6>XY SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. [Mapped feature: #39408 ]
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 23 July 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 941 268 (243m by 199m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1114373 (Pastscape entry: 1114373)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11100
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1114373
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33397
Record last edited
Jan 27 2020 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.