MSO8874 - 19th Century farmstead northwest of Smarmoor Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The tithe map and award shows cottages and gardens in two small enclosures at this location. They were occupied by Michael Ridler and were part of Smarmoor Farm, 400m to the east.  The cottages had fallen into disuse by the early 20th century: an area of small enclosures is shown on the 1904 and 1962 OS maps. Probable deserted farm. [2-4] Smarmoor Farm is a farmstead which fell into disuse in the early 20th century (MMO206). Late 19th century mapping shows a cottage, well and two small enclosures, centred at SS 9485 3376.  The cottages had fallen into disuse by the early 20th century.  The enclosures associated with the cottages are marked on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of the area. To the east, at SS 949 338, a linear field bank is visible as an earthwork on vertical aerial photographs of the area. [8,9]
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <2> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <3> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 57(8).
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Pers comm, M Aston 14-NOV-1977.
- <5> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. p71-104.
- <6> SSO1467 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889. 1:2500 1st edition sheet Somerset 57(8).
- <7> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey 1973 1:2500 map, sheet SS 9433.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3153-5 23-JAN-1947.
- <9> SMO6670 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SW.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 948 338 (204m by 216m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1094983 (Original Monarch entry: 1094983)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO581
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11102
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW12
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1094983
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33399
Record last edited
Jul 16 2018 3:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.