MSO8874 - 19th Century farmstead northwest of Smarmoor Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The tithe map and award shows cottages and gardens in two small enclosures at this location. They were occupied by Michael Ridler and were part of Smarmoor Farm, 400 metres to the east.  The cottages had fallen into disuse by the early 20th century: an area of small enclosures is shown on the 1904 and 1962 Ordnance Survey maps. Probable deserted farm. [2-4] Smarmoor Farm is a farmstead which fell into disuse in the early 20th century (MMO206). Late 19th century mapping shows a cottage, well and two small enclosures, centred at SS 9485 3376.  The cottages had fallen into disuse by the early 20th century.  The enclosures associated with the cottages are marked on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of the area. To the east, at SS 949 338, a linear field bank is visible as an earthwork on vertical aerial photographs of the area. [8,9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <2> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 57(8).
- <4> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, 14 November 1977.
- <5> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. p71-104.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(8).
- <7> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 9433.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3153-5 (23 January 1947).
- <9> SMO6670 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93SW.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1094983, Extant 9 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 948 338 (204m by 216m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1094983 (Original Monarch entry: 1094983)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO581
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11102
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW12
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1094983
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33399
Record last edited
May 9 2022 1:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.