MSO8856 - Bronze Age bowl barrow on King's Brompton Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A circular ditchless mound on King's Brompton Common at ST 0127 3396 may be a bowl barrow. It is 0.6 metres high and has a flattened top. Surveyed at 1:2500.  ST 0127 3396. Brompton Regis 4. Possible bowl barrow. It is a slightly squarish mound which has been mutilated.  (ST 0127 3396) Tumulus (NR).  The Bronze Age bowl barrow described by the previous authorities was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs and measures roughly 15 metres in diameter.  Barrow sheduled on 28 January 2003.  The Bronze Age barrow survives as a circular earthen mound 12.5 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. It lies in improved pasture, and has been truncated on its southern side by a track which is also a public footpath. In addition, the summit of the barrow has been disturbed, probably by a ring feeder being placed upon it; this seems to have happened very recently.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 9 August 1965.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 28.
- <3> SSO1456 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1977. 1:10,000 ST03SW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70387 500-501 (25 September 1970).
- <5> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 Nov 1998.
- <7> SSO1115 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 21/2/2003. English Heritage to SMR.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0126 3396 (25m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188481 (Original Monarch entry: 188481)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO251
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11076
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188481
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33373
Record last edited
Jan 3 2018 9:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.