MSO8855 - Bronze Age barrows at Sminhays Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
ST 0130 3462. Brompton Regis 3. A bowl barrow 15 paces diameter and 1 foot high. Visited by Grinsell and Charles Browne 30th March 1962. Mound slightly stony.  A bowl barrow, 0.5 metres high at ST 0131 3460. See [7,8] - stereo pair.  Scheduled on 3 September 2002.  [ST 0131 3462] Tumulus (NR).  The Bronze Age bowl barrow described by  was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs. To the northeast are the faint traces of a second bowl barrow, at ST 0133 3464, which measures roughly 10 metres in diameter.  A round barrow survives as a low earthen mound in improved pasture. It is circular and measures 14.5 m in diameter and is 0.4 m high. The second barrow observed by  cannot be seen on the ground. Field investigation as part of RCHME's East Exmoor Project.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the original barrow a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. The Scheduled barrow was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SSO1190 Article in serial: Ginsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 28.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 6 August 1965.
- <3> SSO1145 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 25/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1456 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1977. 1:10,000 ST03SW.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3145-3146 (23 January 1947).
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 March 1999.
- <7> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <8> SMO1440 Photograph: BARROW AT BROMPTON REGIS FROM SOUTH. OS65/F182/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <9> SMO1439 Photograph: BARROW AT BROMPTON REGIS FROM SOUTH. OS65/F182/4. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <11> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0130 3462 (34m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188475 (Original Monarch entry: 188475)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO250
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11075
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188475
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33372
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 2:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.