MSO8844 - Enclosure on southern bank of River Haddeo (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
On level ground on the southern bank of the River Haddeo at SS 94332731 are the remains of a rectilinear enclosure bounded by a bank and outer ditch. The southeast corner is quite well preserved but much mutilation has been caused to the remainder by the construction of modern hedges and by deliberate slighting of the bank. The northern side is now bounded by the river, but there may once have been a bank that has been eroded away. There are two gaps, in the east side and near the south-west corner, but neither is a clearly defined entrance. The siting of the earthwork does not suggest a defensive purpose; its function and date are obscure. Its plan and situation are similar to a recently discovered enclosure near Banwell, ST 35 NE. Surveyed at 1:2500. [1, 6 & 7] SS 944274. Earthworks west of Bury. Scheduled, Somerset 343. (Listed under 'Other Secular Sites & Buildings).  The `enclosure', referred to by the previous authorities, is visible on aerial photographs. The two `sides', are defined by banks which measure 60 metres and 40 metres. These banks do not have the appearance of an enclosure and resemble semi-natural or drainage features, related to the river. A number of drains are visible in the interior of the enclosure. Two banks are also visible to the south of the supposed enclosure which have the appearance of belonging to a water management system. The features described above, associated with the`enclosure' have been ploughed level. [3-4] The southeast corner has been hollowed out so that it is about 30 centimetres lower than the main part of the bank. May possibly be a moated enclosure.  The bank length is approximately 135 metres amd the height internally is from 0.5 metres to 0.9 metres. Externally the height of the bank is up to 1.8 metres. There is a hedge to the west.  "Enclosure" is printed on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map.  In private ownership. 
- <1> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 Pitcher, G. H. 16/08/1965.
- <2> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978. P. 123.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 4040-1. 02/10/1952.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 274-5. 27/04/1964.
- <5> SMO6669 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NW.
- <6> SMO1410 Photograph: EARTHWORK AT BROMPTON REGIS FROM EAST (STEREO WITH AO/65/186/1). OS65/F185/8. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <7> SMO1409 Photograph: EARTHWORK AT BROMPTON REGIS FROM EAST (STEREO WITH AO/65/185/8). OS65/F186/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SSO490 Unassigned: SMR file 33368.
- <9> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <10> SSO1448 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:10,000 SS92NW.
- <11> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <12> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9427.
- <13> SSO256 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 93. 8716.
- <14> SEM7819 Report: Adkins, L. + Adkins, R.A.. 1993. Wimbleball Pumped Storage, Haddeo Route: Archaeological Assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9435 2729 (137m by 113m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36552 (Original Monarch entry: 36552)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO192
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11071
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36552
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): SO 343
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33368
Record last edited
Feb 13 2015 2:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.