MSO8742 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Withypool Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8369 3425. Round mound with enclosing circular ditch, possible barrow, seen on aerial photograph. [1,2] No trace of the alleged barrow was visible at the National Grid Reference cited.  The mound could not be found on the ground, though vegetation may have concealed it.  A possible barrow of Bronze Age date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs of 1946, at circa SS 8367 3426. The cropmarks have been interpreted as forming over a levelled mound of circa 10 metres diameter within encircling ditch of about 2 metres width.  The site was subject to a desk based assessment and field survey in 2017. This feature, however, was not identified during the 2017 field survey. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 8334.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. LHL CPE/UK/1980 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 February 1995.
- <4> SEM6702 Verbal communication: Bray, L.S.. 2008. Withypool Hill Site Visit.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 160G/UK/1655 (F20) 3295-6 (11 July 1946).
- <6> SEM8541 Report: Passmore, A. and Dean, R.. 2018. Withypool Hill, Withypool, Exmoor Park: Results of archaeological desk-based assessment, measured and photographic survey of Withypool Stone Circle, and geophysical survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8367 3426 (21m by 21m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1051704 (Pastscape entry: 1051704)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO509
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11753
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW20
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1051704
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34321
Record last edited
Feb 27 2018 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.