MSO8738 - Castle Farm, Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Hawkidge Tithe Map shows Castle Farm as a working farm. [1,2] Castle Farm, the ruins of a mid 18th Century three roomed longhouse and walled enclosure, with pens in the fields. Shown as a ruin on the 1840s Tithe Map for Hawkridge. The chimney remained until the 1950s. [1,3] SS 8845 2977. The remains of a building are located in the deciduous woodland of Hawkridge Ridge Wood. It is situated in a bend in the River Barle some 100 metres due east of Brewer's Castle (MSO8863), about 180 metres above Ordnance Datum. The remains consist of a rectangular stone building, about 18 metres east to west by 5.5 metres between the centres of a wall about 1.3 metres high and 0.8 metres wide overall, now covered in scrub and brambles. It is subdivided into three compartments and is not a true longhouse as such. No entrances are evident. It is fronted by an enclosed yard, about 16 metres east to west by 10 metres, on its south side and there is a smaller yard, 8 metres north to south by 6 metres, on the west. It is shown, unannotated, on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map  when the enclosed field to the east was pasture. It is now partly wooded. The name Castle Farm was not verified but the remains are compatible with a small farmstead of the mid 18th Century. No Survey Action. [1, 4-6]
- <1> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 6.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 30 bNovember 1977.
- <3> SMO5568 Monograph: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1990. Yesterday's Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 9-10.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Somerset 57(13).
- <5> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. Volume 127 (1982), 102.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 January 1996.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8845 2978 (78m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050142 (Pastscape entry: 1050142)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11743
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8707
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE19
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 82 NE30
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050142
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 9744007
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34311
Record last edited
Mar 22 2021 10:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.