MSO8736 - Late medieval or post-medieval field system with ridge and furrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
McDonnell records a field system extending over slopes on the northern side of the valley of the River Barle, transcribed from aerial photographs. The system is in the form of banks forming rectangular enclosures with evidence of ploughing. [1-6] Centred at SS 8165 3705 is a field system. It occupies south facing slopes above the River Barle and extends to some 150 hectares. A pronounced double banked trackway runs from west to east through the field system, and the field boundaries appear to be laid out from it. The trackway itself presumably facilitated access through an area of common towards the Royal Forest. The field system itself consists of linear (though sometimes sinuous) boundaries composed largely of earth with some stone, forming a number of regular fields. The fields themselves are covered in ridge and furrow, between 2 and 3 metres wide. The date of the field system is unclear, but it is presumably late medieval or later, and forms one of a number of examples on commons in this area (see also MSO8721, MSO8753, MDE8255 and MDE8253). An aerial photographic transcription of this area has been requested from the RCHME air photography unit.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO241 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-17 Run 83.
- <2> SSO202 Aerial photograph: May 1977. ENP MAM IRFC.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980.
- <4> SSO267 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 83.
- <5> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85.
- <6>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8035-SS8037, SS8132, SS8135-SS8137, SS8231-SS8232, SS8234-SS8237, SS8331-SS8334. [Mapped feature: #31155 ]
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Ivestigation, 2 August 1995.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1046467, Extant 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8168 3682 (2163m by 1365m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1046467 (Pastscape entry: 1046467)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12347
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW51
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1046467
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35535
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 11:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.