MSO8735 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS 85723491 is a reservoir created by the construction of a large dam across the shallow valley. To the south the remains of a leat run about 777m along the valley to Bradley Farm. The far end of the leat was originally culverted, carrying water from the pond to a large waterwheel which has since been removed (1). The dam was originally about 201m long, 1.2m wide at the top and nearly 23m wide at the base (2). It has since been bulldozed lower. According to local tradition, the dam was constructed by drag line and bucket (2). To the south of the pond are the earthwork remains of a deserted medieval farmstead (SS 83 SE 11). The pond is currently used for fishing. (1-3)
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. The Farmer, Great Bradley, Winsford.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset County SMR SS 83 SE 34240.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman HP 25-APR-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8577 3494 (338m by 208m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1028683 (Pastscape entry: 1028683)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE55
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1028683
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34240
Record last edited
Aug 31 2017 1:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.