MSO8733 - Westwater Linhay, north of West Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 8528 3398 on a natural platform to the north of West Water is an area of earthworks to the west of Westwater Linhay. The walls of the Linhay building survive mostly at ground level except for the northern gable which preserved in the field bank. This decay has been recent as the Linhay's roof was lost within the last couple of years . The earthworks to the west create a large platformed area, 40 metres long, above the track with a division half way along its length. The platform is cut by a later field bank. The site's relationship to the surrounding farms suggests that it might have been an outfarm. [2,3] The site is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. It consists of two parallel rectangular buildings centred at SS 8527 3297.  The buildings are similarly depicted on the Tithe Map for Winsford, within a small land parcel labelled 1148. The Apportionment describes this as "Barn etc", part of West Water and Lower Worth.  The site is shown as earthworks on the 2021 MasterMap data. It is labelled "Westwater Linhay (remains of)". 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mrs Branfield, Westwater Farm, Withypool.
- <2> SMO5674 Survey: Westwater Linhay/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1995.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1148.
- <6>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47152 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8526 3297 (82m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1028679 (Pastscape entry: 1028679)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12576
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE53
- National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1028679
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35783
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 9:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.