MSO8731 - Post-medieval quarry pits west of Bradley Pond (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A feature was shown on aerial photographs at SS 8543 3453.  Centred at SS 8543 3453 within improved pasture are a pair of stone quarrying pits running down the slope to the west of Bradley Pond.  Two small quarries of probable post-medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8542 3494 circa 220 metres to the west of Bradley Pond on Bradley Hams. The largest of the two measures circa 16 metres by 10 metres. [3,4] The features are not shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 March 1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4386-7 (11 July 1946).
- <4>XY SMO7581 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SE. MD002198. [Mapped feature: #47153 ]
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8542 3494 (40m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1028676 (Pastscape entry: 1028676)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO455
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE51
- National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1028676
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 10:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.