MSO8705 - Possible South of South Batcham or Batsom, Withypool and Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR. (1) Centred at SS 85053385 on the northern side of the head of a stream running eastwards to the Barle is an area of slight platforming and amorphous scarping surrounded by gorse on the edge of a much improved pasture field. The area measures approximately 11.5m by 6m with further scarping beyond but it has no coherent shape. The site is littered with stone although this is the result of field clearance. A well-used terraced track runs eastwards from the site which was depicted from air photographs (2). Nothing is shown of the farm in 1839 (3), 1988 (4) or 1903 (5). It is suggested that this could be the site of South Batcham due to its proximity with North Batcham, mentioned in the 1327 Lay Subsidy (1). (2-6)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29-SEP-1986.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. McDonnell R 1977-85 CRAGGS Exmoor Air Photgraphic Survey.
- <3> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Withypool Tithe Map 1839 Somerset Record Office.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 56:8, 1888.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 56:8, 1903.
- <6> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman HP 26-APR-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 8504 3385 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932927 (Pastscape entry: 932927)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE37
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932927
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34329
Record last edited
Sep 27 2012 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.