MSO8703 - Deserted farm at Hill Farm, Down Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR. (1)The remains of Hill Farm lie centred at SS 85203208 on a south-facing slope facing Hawkridge Common. The farm is shown roofed in 1841 with an estate of 27 acres (1) adjoining the lands of Parsonage Farm to the east (2). The farm buildings remained roofed through 1888 (3) until at least 1903 (4). In 1974 only a section of the field bank to the south of the farm remain depicted (5). From the northern edge of Hawkridge Common slight earthworks and rubble remains are visible. Site not visited - permission not obtained. (2-5)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29-SEP-1986.
- <2> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Hawkridge Tithe Map 1841 Somerset Record Office.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 56:12, 1888.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:25000 Somerset Sheet 56:12, 1903.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . SS 8532, 1974.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8519 3203 (135m by 153m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932923 (Pastscape entry: 932923)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE35
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932923
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34305
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34326
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.