MSO8701 - Deserted farm north of Parsonage Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
For details see county SMR. (1) Centred at SS 85133287 is a large platformed area cut into the gentle slope of a natural level above West Water. It measures approximately 19.5m across the slope by 6.8m and appears to represent a deserted farmstead. On the higher side of the platform are the fragmented stone and hedge remains of the banks of the surrounding fields. The origin of these features is uncertain. The surface of the platform is littered with stone, although no coherent structures can be seen. On the higher side a branch has fallen, obscuring part of the site. No buildings are shown on the Tithe Map (2) although the associated field system is shown. The field at the grid reference is however reference to as "ruin" in the apportionment. (2,3)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29-SEP-1997.
- <2> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment 1839 Somerset Record Office.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman HP 26-APR-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8513 3287 (126m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=932920 (Pastscape entry: 932920)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE33
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 932920
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34314
Record last edited
Jul 10 2017 11:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.