MSO8689 - Natural surface stone scatter at Westwater Allotment (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 839 829 (should be SS 839 329). A possible stone setting lies on a north facing slope just south of a flush site at Westwater Allotment. It consists of a scatter of thirty-plus stones, the largest 1 metre long and two apparently standing. Many smaller stones can be seen to project through the turf. The site does not resemble other settings on Exmoor nor does it appear to have a coherent plan, although it seems to have two north to south rows with a more disturbed area on the southwest. [1,2] Natural surface stone scatter on a moderate northeastern facing slope at SS 839 329, on Westwater Allotment. They form no recognisable pattern. This is not a setting, but a natural concentration of partly embedded and partly surface stones. The 1979 plan indicates two north to south `rows', which are fortuitous and two `standing stones' which are distinguished simply because they have prominent erosion hollows. Most of the land has been improved but, where unimproved, similar patches of stones occur. A second concentration occurs in the same field corner at SS 8408 3288; these however are surface sitting and have obviously been cleared. Most of the land around is improved but there are occasional patches of rough, uncleared land (eg area centred SS 8455 3300) where similar stones in ones and twos can still be seen. There can be little doubt that they are a natural phenomenon, if somewhat unusual for Exmoor. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34309.
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 124 (1980), 121, 'Somerset Archaeology 1979' (I Burrow).
- <3> SMO5660 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1988/1989. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A Provisional Catalogue of 62 West Somerset Sites. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13, Withypool 2.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 22-JAN-1990. P Pattison..
|Grid reference||Centred SS 839 329 (117m by 117m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35827 (Pastscape entry: 35827)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11741
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW12
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35827
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34309
Record last edited
Jan 31 2017 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.