MSO8687 - Huntercombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Huntercombe, Hawkridge, SS 848 317. Areas of vague earthworks remain at this deserted farm site in a deep valley. There are mounds and banks and a very boggy area at the head of the valley where springs emerge, but no clear building sites are visible. Neither a farm nor the name Huntercombe shown at or near SS 848 317 on the 1 inch Ordnance Survey map.  Additional Bibliography.  "Huntercombe Linhay" printed on the Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division six inch map.  Nothing is shown on the 1973 Ordnance Survey map.  There is some confusion with this site. Previously thought that Hill Farm (MSO8703) was this site but apparently not. There is nothing to be seen at SS 8480 3165. The farmer suggests that the farm site was actually in the area of SS 850 318 where there is a holly tree remaining. Otherwise, all traces of a farm have disappeared. It may well be that the linhay was an outlying barn with the farm further to the east as the farmer suggests. There is a trackway which goes from this area to Hawkridge Common (see MSO11757). 6] Centred at SS 8482 3164 are the vague remains of buildings. "Huntercombe Linhay" is depicted on the six inch Ordnance Survey map of 1891. Slight amorphous earthworks and platforms, and a pronounced kick in the existing hedgeline is all that survives of this probable former farmstead.  The Tithe Map for Hawkridge shows two small square buildings sited at c. SS 8479 3163. The buildings are on the boundary of two small land parcels, labelled 192 and 193 on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge. 
- <1> SEM7084 Article in serial: Aston, M. A. + Murless, B.J.. 1977/1978. Somerset Archaeology 1977. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 122. 138.
- <2> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 102.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891, Somerset 56(SE).
- <4> SSO1613 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83SW.
- <5> SEM7730 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:10000, 1973. 1:10,000. SS83SW.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 29 January 1988.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 February 1995.
- <8>XY SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 192 and 193. [Mapped feature: #43183 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 847 316 (159m by 112m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35825 (Pastscape entry: 35825)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12013
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW10
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35825
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34808
Record last edited
Feb 4 2019 1:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.