MSO8684 - Green Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 81793456) Green Barrow (NR)  A tumulus of the simple bowl type some 3-4 feet high and 50-60 feet in diameter. A trench has been dug into it from the edge to the centre. No signs of a ditch. Visited 13 September 1950.  Withypool 4, a bowl barrow 15 paces diameter and 4 feet high. Formerly on the Hawkridge boundary. Visited by Grinsell 30th September 1961.  This is a bowl barrow 1.6 metres high. There is a hollow in its top. (See GP AO/65/192/1 & 2 [14,15]). Resurveyed at 1:2500.  Green Barrow, a prehistoric round barrow, is centred at SS 8179 3456. It is 13.3 metres in diameter (summit diameter 6.6 metres) and 1.4 metres high. It is compact and well defined, but has been disturbed by a sub-rectangular pit, measuring 2.2 metres by 2.7 metres and 0.5 metres deep, aligned northwest to southeast dug into the centre of the summit. A hollowing leads into the pit from the southeast and has been exploited by a modern path. The barrow is heather and grass covered but is surrounded by long moor grass which may conceal an encircling ditch. It has good visibility in all directions except to the north, this because it is off the crest of the hill.  Monument Scheduled on 24 February 2004.  The Bronze Age bowl barrow known as Green Barrow is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from the 1940s onwards. The barrow is centred on SS 8179 3456, on the upper slopes of a southeast facing ridge on Hawkridge Common. It may also be located on a false crest if approached from the southeast. [7-9] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in March 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7767 Unpublished document: Tratman, K.. 18/10/1950. Tratman, K. to Somerset County Council..
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 42.
- <4> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 Aeptember 1965.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 February 1995.
- <6> SSO1156 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 4/3/2004. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <7> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3291-2 (11 July 1946).
- <8> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS8134/6 (23828/11) (19 February 2005).
- <9> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
- <10> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8134.
- <11> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4364.
- <12> SSO246 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 81. 8596.
- <13> SSO416 Photograph: February 198. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.042.0010.
- <14> SMO1379 Photograph: GREEN BARROW - BOWL BARROW AT WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F192/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <15> SMO1378 Photograph: GREEN BARROW - BOWL BARROW AT WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F192/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <16> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <17> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8179 3456 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35808 (Pastscape entry: 35808)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO131
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11730
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35808
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34298
Record last edited
May 15 2018 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.