MSO8680 - Hawkridge Castle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"There is an old encampment to the west of the church, called Hawkridge Castle".  Hawkridge church is located at SS 8610 3065. No 'encampment' shown on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch 1809 or 2 inch drawing of 1802-3. [2,3] "Hawkridge Castle, a steep bluff overhanging the Dune Brook [Dane's Brook]; and Brewer's Castle [MSO8663; SS 8832 2977], occupying a like position on the Barle, were next pointed out. There were no traces of earth or stone wall to be seen at these spots, and they probably served as outlooks to the encampment on the opposite side [?Mouncy Castle]". The description in  indicates Hawkridge Castle east of the village. [4,5] The exact location of this site is unclear. 
- <1> SMO5332 Serial: Royal Archaeological Institute. 1844 onwards. The Archaeological Journal. Volume 7 (1850), 301.
- <2> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360. 1" / 1809.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 2" / 1802-3.
- <4> SEM8749 Article in serial: Unknown. 1883. Thursday's Excursion. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 29. Part 1, 58-80. pp 61.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. DJ Graty, NMR.
|Grid reference||SS 84 29 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35798 (Original Monarch entry: 35798)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12569
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE17
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35798
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35776
Record last edited
Nov 6 2019 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.