MSO8678 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 870305 ? Stone foundations of a probable deserted farm site, including at least one building and a ruined enclosure have been reported by Ian Burrow at Three Waters. (1) SS 87053047. A small medieval deserted farm site and enclosure was identified on the south bank of the Barle at Ashway. The site has neen excluded from agricultural improvements in the area. (2) The remains of a deserted farmstead were indicated within the vicinity of SS 87053047 within Little Birchcleeve Wood (1) .Centred at SS 87013049 on the edge of Little Birchcleeve Wood are the fragmented remains of a field system. One main terrace runs along the contours crossing the edge of woodland possibly with others above and below it. There are on both sides of the present track blocks of sandstone, some of which suggest clearance, although the majority have no coherence. There are no buildings implied by the field evidence, although the presence of the field system suggests the presence of domestic habitation. Nothing is depicted within the area in 1841 (3), 1888 (4) or 1904 (5). (3-6)
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Inf I Burrow.
- <3> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- <4> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Hawkridge Tithe Map 1841 Somerset Record Office.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey 1888 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 57:13.
- <6> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey 1904 1:2500 Somerset Sheet 57:13.
- <7> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Chapman, HP 09-FEB-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8700 3048 (236m by 205m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35796 (Pastscape entry: 35796)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE15
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35796
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34318
Record last edited
Dec 14 2010 9:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.