MSO8668 - St Andrew's Church and churchyard, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
St Andrew's Church has a nave, rebuilt chancel and arcade of three bays. The low broad west tower was largely rebuilt in 1901, but the tower arch towards the nave looks 17th century rather than 20th century. There is a Norman font.  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  The parish church is late medieval in date. The tower was rebuilt in the early 17th century. The church was restored and refitted in 1887 and was restored extensively and the tower rebuilt again in 1902, with the latter work by W H Farings. . The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. P. 350.
- <2> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. P. 90.
- <3> SSO767 Unassigned: Aston, M. 13.12.76. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8463 3559 (93m by 78m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=569 (CHER ID: 601488)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35749 (Pastscape entry: 35749)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/163
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601488
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10795
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11722
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35749
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34290
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31298
Record last edited
Sep 1 2017 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.