MSO8668 - St Andrew's Church, Withypool (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8463 3559. St Andrew's Church (C of E) (NAT).  St Andrew's Church has a nave, rebuilt chancel and arcade of three bays. The low broad west tower was largely rebuilt in 1901, but the tower arch towards the nave looks 17th century rather than 20th Century. There is a Norman font.  10/2 Church of St Andrew Grade II* Small plain church of mediaeval origin but considerably restored and rebuilt at various times. Nave, C.19 chancel, N. aisle of 3 bays, S. porch, embattled W. tower, diagonal buttresses to lower stage, single bell chamber windows. Other windows mostly of C.16/C.17 type, stone-mullioned, some with 4-centred lights. Nave arcade shows crudely worked clustered columns with roll-moulded capitals, possiblylocal work. Norman font.  The parish church is late medieval in date. The tower was rebuilt in the early 17th century. The church was restored and refitted in 1887 and was restored extensively and the tower rebuilt again in 1902, with the latter work by W H Farings. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  An information leaflet gives further information on the church's history and fabric.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. P. 350.
- <3> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. P. 90.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR): Dulverton RD Somer (Sept 1955) 25-6.
- <5> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park. p87-8.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <7> SEM8774 Leaflet: Anonymous. Unknown. [Untitled: St Andrew, Withypool]. N/A.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35749, Extant 10 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8462 3559 (20m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=569 (CHER ID: 601488)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35749 (Pastscape entry: 35749)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/163
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601488
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10795
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11722
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35749
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34290
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31298
Record last edited
Aug 10 2021 3:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.