MSO8654 - Post-medieval water meadow system at Gupworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks at Gupworthy Farm, Withycombe. Centred at approximately SS 992 408, gutters are visible in two fields immediately north of the farm, apparently following the contours of the north facing slope. The gutters appear to have been fed from a spring visible within the yard at Gupworthy Farm, suggesting that this was an integrated system which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser to the fields. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-4]
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 41.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3219, 4286.
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #40016 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 992 409 (292m by 223m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119549 (Original Monarch entry: 1119549)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO703
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11935
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE72
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119549
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34516
Record last edited
Jan 7 2020 5:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.