MSO8640 - Undated earthwork in Langridge Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Cross dyke consisting of bank c0.5 metres high with ditch to east, all running north to south across spur to west of a cist (MSO8629) in Langridge Wood.  The earthwork lies in Langridge Wood at ST 0135 3732. It comprises a bank 7 metres wide, with a ditch on its eastern side 3.5 metres wide and 0.9 metres deep. It runs for 23 metres north to south, and is cut by a forestry track. The earthwork may well result from stone extraction or from earlier routes through the wood. There is no trace of any continuation of the feature- the area has been heavily disturbed by forestry operations.  The site may or may not be associated with the cist. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M. Aston, 21 December 1976.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1999.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 February 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 013 373 (41m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975110 (Original Monarch entry: 975110)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW18
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975110
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34275
Record last edited
Apr 28 2020 3:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.