MSO8598 - Post-medieval water meadow system at East Nurcott (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
This field gutter system is described and illustrated at length by Francis. [1,2] The gutters are still in use and regularly maintained by the tenant farmer. As such it is supposed to be the last working gutter system in West Somerset. [3-5] This water meadow system was seen on vertical aerial photographs and plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [6,7] An operating water meadow system of traditional type still in use. It consists of a reservoir at the lower end of the farmyard, defined by stone-faced earth banks. A sluice at the lower end (now disused) led water either down the hill or along a contour leat. Water running in the leat at time of visit, breached at intervals at allow it to run downhill. Effect on grass growth marked. Some of the water was supplied from the spring to the northwest, brought across the field by another leat.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4348 and 4347.
- <2> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. P. 52-54, 56.
- <3> SMO7268 Technical drawing: Riley, H., Wilson-North, R. and Jamieson, E.. 1999. East Nurcott/pencil survey. Unknown. Permatrace. Pencil.
- <4> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 93 NW35.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 November 1997.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF F61/543/2821 0148-50 (7 May 1964).
- <7>XY SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW. [Mapped features: #47815 ; #47816 ]
- <8> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. I Burrow, 1 April 1983.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1089201, Extant 26 January 2022.
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089201 (Original Monarch entry: 1089201)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO560
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11688
- Local List Status (Candidate)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1089201
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34247
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9072 3648 (298m by 257m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2022 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.