MSO8598 - Post-medieval water meadow system at East Nurcott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
This field gutter system is described and illustrated at length by Francis.  The gutters are still in use and regularly maintained by the tenant farmer. As such it is supposed to be the last working gutter system in West Somerset.  This water meadow system was seen on vertical aerial photographs and plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [3-5] An operating water meadow system of traditional type still in use. It consists of a reservoir at the lower end of the farmyard, defined by stone-faced earth banks. A sluice at the lower end (now disused) led water either down the hill or along a contour leat. Water running in the leat at time of visit, breached at intervals at allow it to run downhill. Effect on grass growth marked. Some of the water was supplied from the spring to the north-west, brought across the field by another leat. 
- <1> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. P. 52-54, 56.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 November 1997.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF F61/543/2821 0148-50. 07/05/1964.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4348 and 4347.
- <5>XY SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW. [Mapped feature: #38366 ]
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. I Burrow, 1 April 1983.
- <7> SMO7268 Technical drawing: CARPENTER. East Nurcott/pencil survey.
- <8> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 93 NW 35.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9067 3635 (398m by 536m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089201 (Original Monarch entry: 1089201)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO560
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11688
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089201
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34247
Record last edited
Jan 20 2020 1:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.