MSO8588 - Post-medieval cottages at Yellowcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Yellow Combe" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division six inch map - two areas of buildings and small enclosures. Reached by Yellowcombe Lane running north.  Aerial photographs show the site now derelict with short lengths of banks. [2-4] Mentioned in Aston's list of deserted settlements.  These remains comprise a ruinous rectangular building, 9.5 by 5 metres, of coursed local stone, standing up to 1.5 metres high, with two internal divisions. The building lies on the edge of Yellowcombe Lane at SS 9034 3900. These two cottages have now become Yellowcombe Cottage, which is currently in use.  Yellowcombe is depicted on the early 20th century Ordnance Survey large scale mapping of the area, when it consisted of 2 or 3 buildings and closes.  The Tithe Map and award of 1839 depicts the ruined building as in use. It was a house and garden, occupied by Robert Lyddon, and part of Edbrooke Farm. Close by were two large fields, Higher and Lower Yellowcombe Meadow. Eighty metres to the southwest were two cottages and gardens, owned by William Clatworthy and part of Haughtons Farm, and a further building is shown c.70 metres to the west of these, owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and occupied by John Norman, forming part of Halse and Townsend Cleeves. 
- <1> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9033.
- <3> SSO254 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, September. 8695.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3351.
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100-101.
- <6> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997.
- <7> SEM7729 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1802. Ordnance Survey drawing 42 part 1 - Minehead 16. 3 inch : 1 Mile (1:21,120). Pen and Ink.
- <8>XY SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 782, 783, 784, 797, 1051. [Mapped feature: #39466 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9033 3384 (261m by 134m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095075 (Original Monarch entry: 1095075)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11700
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW25
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095075
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34259
Record last edited
Jun 17 2019 11:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.