MSO8587 - Higher Leigh (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Higher Leigh is recorded as a post medieval deserted farm from documentary sources in the Somerset SMR. [1-3] Not mentioned in Aston's list of deserted settlements.  The farm is in existence as "Leigh" by 1784.  By the middle of the 19th Century it has become "Higher Lea" Farm, and consists of a farmhouse and a number of outbuildings. A track leads from the farm up to the unenclosed land on Winsford Hill to the west.  By the end of the 19th Century two cottages and a barn are depicted at Higher Leigh, and the access to Winsford Hill has gone, suggesting that the site is no longer in use as a separate farm.  Current large scale maps show that the cottages are derelict and the barn is in use, probably by Leigh Farm (formerly Lower Leigh), to the east. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9032.
- <3> SSO254 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, September. 8696.
- <4> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. p100-101.
- <5> SSO899 Map: Day and Masters. 1782. County map of Somerset.
- <6> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SSO1468 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1890. 1:2500 1st edition, sheet Somerset. 57(6).
- <8> SSO1515 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500, sheet SS 9032.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 900 327 (89m by 107m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095069 (Original Monarch entry: 1095069)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11698
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095069
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34257
Record last edited
May 21 2018 2:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.