MSO8575 - Post-medieval field system on Bye Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Parallel banks forming trackway on Bye Common. Other banks form field boundaries with ploughing running north to south. [1-3] A field system of probable post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards as earthworks on Bye Common, Winsford parish, centred on circa SS 8818 3588. Along much of its route the longest boundary visible runs roughly west to east along the 345 metre contour. Abutting this boundary, several further field boundaries can be seen on the lower, steeper slopes to the north and northeast. Within the area defined by the long curved boundary, towards the summit of the hill, narrow ridge and furrow can be seen arrayed across the gentler upper slopes, orientated fanlike from northnorthwest and northnortheast. It is probable that these earthworks are evidence of a failed or abandoned enclosure attempt, possibly of 19th Century date. The parallel banks forming a trackway described by  could not be seen, and it is likely this interpretation arose from misinterpretation of the pathway as a second earthwork. A quarry has damaged the western end of the long field boundary, at circa SS 8772 3576. [4-8] The area is shown as unenclosed common on Winsford Tithe Map (plots 465, 466, 467) and is described as 'Bye Common' owned and occupied by Commoners in the Tithe Apportionment book.  It remains unenclosed on the late 19th century OS County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map . It seems likley that the field system went out of use before the mid 19th century.
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8735 and 8835 SCPD.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CPE/UK/1980 4351-4352 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD HSL/UK/71-177 Run 87, 8631 and Run 89, 8661 (Sept 1971).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4390-1 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 3018-9 (2 September 1952).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL/77014 083-4 EXMOOR 77 INFRA-RED (20 May 1977).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 68039 165 (9 June 1968).
- <8> SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192.
- <9> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. plots 465, 466, 467.
- <10> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 88 35 (1028m by 349m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974614 (Original Monarch entry: 974614)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MM0397
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11693
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE48
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974614
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34252
Record last edited
Feb 1 2021 9:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.