MSO8519 - Undated mound south of Comer's Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Winsford No 5, SS 8611 3535. Probably a round barrow 10 paces diameter and 2 feet high, but possibly a spoil heap from road making. Hollow in centre.  This mound is at the side of the road at SS 86083535. It is circular, 0.5 m high and its surface is uneven and overgrown by grass and heather. Probing suggests that the mound is largely composed of soil, and this is certainly so on its western side where the perimeter has been recently cut away. Although it may be a disturbed bowl barrow this is by no means certain. Surveyed at 1:2500.  SS 8608 3535. Winsford 5. Probable round barrow listed, details as . Visited by Grinsell 6th April 1958 and 30th Sept 1961.  A small, subrectangular mound lies on the northwest edge of Winsford Hill, close to Comer's Gate, at SS 86084 35355. The mound is predominantly composed of earth and is turf covered. The centre has been disturbed. The mound measures 7.6 metres north to south and 4 metres east to west, and is 0.6 metres high, with damage on its western side. It lies close to the road, and in a general area of disturbance, caused by vehicles and other traffic. The mound is not a barrow and is most likely to be associated with road construction or repair.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 42.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 26 August 1965.
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 42.
- <4>XY SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 July 1997. [Mapped feature: #43345 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35718, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8608 3535 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35718 (Pastscape entry: 35718)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11661
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE6
- National Trust HER Record
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35718
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34219
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 8:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.