MSO8389 - World War Two military camp on Haddon Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a very large World War Two camp are visible on aerial photographs. The foundations and hard standings for numerous buildings, paths and roads extend over an area measuring 900 metres by 600 metres, centred at SS 9850 2845. A large group of buildings outside the east end of the camp are centred at SS 9810 2846. A possible battery and buildings are visible to the north of the road along the perimeter of the camp, and are centred at SS 9795 2859, SS 9809 2862, SS 9825 2863 and SS 9840 2864. The site of the main area of the camp is now exactly covered by an ornamental tree plantation (MSO8380). [1-3] American soldiers were stationed at the Haddon Camp from March to June 1944.  Only the part of the site within the National Park boundary has been mapped. The remainder is recorded on the Somerset HER under PRN 21806. [5,6]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4433-4 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 4168-9 (2 September 1952).
- <3>XY SMO6671 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NE. [Mapped feature: #38101 ]
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.109.
- <5> SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 21806.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 2 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9815 2861 (483m by 104m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||SKILGATE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1133866 (Original Monarch entry: 1133866)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/21806 (Somerset HER entry: PRN 21806)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1012
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE61
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1133866
Record last edited
Mar 22 2021 9:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.