MSO8352 - Field system at Treborough Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A field system on Treborough Common was noted from air photographs, composed of field boundaries and associated narrow rig ploughing.  Treborough Common was mostly enclosed by the end of the 19th century and most of the fields noted from the APs are depicted on the 1st edition map of the area . The whole of the Common is now enclosed and under improved grassland. The field system described above was clearly visible on aerial photographs of Treborough Common, covering an area of some 48 hectares. Several fields are associated with narrow ridge and furrow ploughing, suggesting a later post medieval date, perhaps 18th or 19th century. Parts of the system are depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1888, suggesting it was at least partially in use at this time. [2,3] The area is shown as unenclosed on Treborough Tithe Map of 1841 and recorded as being Commons of Heath and Pasture owned by Sir John Trevelyan. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 0035, 0135.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3332.
- <4> SMO7560 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 03 NW. MD002177.
- <5> SSO687 Map: 1841. Treborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 00 35 (1859m by 1080m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975138 (Original Monarch entry: 975138)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO426
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11645
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW34
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975138
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34146
Record last edited
Aug 17 2021 6:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.