MSO8347 - Medieval cross in St Peter's Churchyard, Treborough (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[ST 01073635] Cross (NR) (Remains of) (NAT).  Remains of a late 13th Century churchyard cross. The socket only is in a fair state of preservation. The upper bed is an octagon converted into a square by high convex broaches. The steps are square at present, but as displaced that the original plan cannot be traced. The carved stone on the top is supposed to have belonged to the cross head.  This cross has been restored. The socket stone stands on three rebuilt octagonal steps. The shaft and lantern head are modern. But the latter is capped by the original canopy, which is presumably the 'curved stone' noted by Pooley .  Churchyard cross about 10 metres south of porch in the Church of St Peter . The cross was restored in late 19th century. It is constructed from a mixture of local and Ham stone. There is a 19th Century octagonal shaft surmounted by a gabled niche amd a trefoil headed opening containing the figure of St Peter.  Scheduled on 5 July 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <2> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C.. 1877. An historical and descriptive account of the old stone crosses of Somerset. P. 64.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 5 August 1965.
- <4> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <5> SSO1132 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 19/7/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <6> SMO1455 Photograph: LATE 13TH CENTURY CHURCHYARD CROSS AT TREBOROUGH FROM SOUTH. OS65/F179/5. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <7> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <9> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0107 3635 (3m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188379 (Original Monarch entry: 188379)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 444/12/104
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10186
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10617
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188379
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15582
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31091
Record last edited
May 17 2021 11:08AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.