MSO8345 - Hazelry Farmstead, Treborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Deserted Farm site, Hazery, Treborough, SS 995360. Earthworks include a probable long house and extensive abandoned field banks. (Remains of the long house are shown on OS 6" 1962 at SS 99583595; 'Hazery Plantation' is adjacent. Aston implies likely dating back to medieval times). [1-2] SS 996360. Deserted farmstead of Hazery, in the 1327 Lay Subsidy (a) by the entry of Hugh de Herlyngeswithe and Henry of the same. On the 1841 Tithe Map it was an estate of 170 acres with farmhouse. There are clear earthworks of a range of buildings aligned east-west on the north side of a stream. There is a barn with round pillars to the east and the farmhouse probably stood to the west of this, where there is a large platform with a large stone slab in the centre. (M Aston, fieldwork 9th May 1976 and 15th March 1977). [3-5] Associated with the deserted medieval farmstead described by the previous authorities are the fragmented remains of a water meadow system surviving as a few ditches running parallel with the hillside. These were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. 
- <1> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 119.
- <2> SSO740 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Medieval Village Research Group Annual Report. 25. 15.
- <3> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 248.
- <4> SSO687 Map: 1841. Treborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100.
- <6> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8810.
- <7> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <8> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3334.
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9935.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9945 3603 (623m by 321m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36639 (Original Monarch entry: 36639)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO201
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11637
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE18
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36639
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34138
Record last edited
Apr 30 2020 12:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.