MSO8331 - Allers Farmstead, Timberscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Building remains and banks with trackways to the west and north were noted as a possible deserted farm site on aerial photographs dating to 1947 and 1971. [1-3] A possible deserted farm at Allders, Timberscombe is visible on air photographs as building remains and earthwork banks accompanied by a trackway and small enclosures . Centred at approximately SS 9530 4243, a small building is visible, measuring 8 metres long by 5 metres wide. To the northwest and northeast of this building are a number of linear banks, possibly field boundaries, running approximately east to west. A trackway running north to south appears to link the settlement to the trackway at Heber Vale and was presumably the main approach. Aston  refers to settlements at Allers and Heber Vale as part of the estate at Barrow, Wootton Courtenay. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a settlement called "Allers" at this location, but it appears to be uninhabited. It is likely that it was abandoned shortly before the map was published in 1889. [1, 4-7] It is not clear why  refers to the settlement appearing to be uninhabited on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, as this is not the case. Buildings are shown at SS 9528 4242 and SS 9530 4240 and a footbridge is positioned at SS 9530 4240. [6, 8] The 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map again labels the settlement and shows extant buildings and a footbridge in the same locations as on the 1st Edition map, although the northern structures appear to have been altered (or demolished and rebuilt).  The Tithe Map for Timberscombe depicts the site with a series of enclosures. The northwestern building is labelled 354, to the west of a large parcel of land labelled 352, and the southeastern one 349, next to another small parcel 348. The Apportinment describes these as follows: Owned by William Floyde; occupied by "John Bale & or's": 354: House 352: Garden Owned by John Tudball; occupied by John Tudball and James White: 348: House & Garden 349: Garden. It is possible that the numbers for 348 and 349 have been mixed up, as the house is definitely in plot 349 on the map and no building is shown in 348. 
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD.HSL.UK 71-177 Run 95, 8747 (September 1971).
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . RAF CPE/UK/1980 3197-98 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9542C.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 34(6).
- <5> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 99-100.
- <6>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889. [Mapped feature: #40015 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1119533.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 January 2020.
- <9> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <10> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 348, 349, 352, 354.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 953 424 (200m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119533 (Original Monarch entry: 1119533)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO702
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11633
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE69
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119533
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34134
Record last edited
Jan 28 2020 1:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.