MSO8308 - Bougham deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Bougham, Timberscombe, ST 939 413 (sic). Earthworks and abandoned stone wall enclosures of a deserted farmstead. (The map reference should almost certainly be SS 959 413, where "Bougham" place-names - Bougham Wood, Bougham Ball - are published on O.S. 1:10000 1974; which also shows detail of the probable site at SS 9597 4133.)  [SS 960 414] Deserted farmstead of Bougham, shown as a farm of 63 acres on the 1844 Tithe Map. The 1904 O.S. 6" shows it as semi derelict with enclosures all round. There are the remains of stone buildings, foundations and stone-walled enclosures (fieldwork M. Aston 21st May 1976).  The site at Bougham is now occupied by a house with landscaped grounds. An area of ponds and gardens lie to the east and south of the buildings depicted on the 1st edition 25" map.  The earthwork remains of a field gutter system, presumably associated with the farm at Bougham, lie to north, centred at SS 958 417. [4,5] The farmstead of Bougham can clearly be seen on aerial photographs taken in 1962. At SS 9597 4133 a ruined building is visible, measuring approximately 16 metres by 8 metres. East of this several tumbled stone walls are visible, while to the south trackways and enclosure walls can be seen. These features have most likely been destroyed by the construction of the modern house and landscaped grounds. [6,7] Several buildings shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and "Bougham" named. Shown as leats and "sluices". [8-10]
- <1> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 119.
- <2> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 100.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 47(1).
- <5> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 215-16 (4 June 1962).
- <7> SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 47(1).
- <9> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9541B, SS9641A.
- <10> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3796.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9599 4131 (176m by 310m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36929 (Original Monarch entry: 36929)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO223
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11615
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE28
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36929
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34115
Record last edited
Jan 15 2020 3:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.