MSO8187 - Fishponds in Pond Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A chain of fishponds are located in the valley to the southwest of Combe Sydenham, marked 'Fishponds' on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map. The water eventually powers the mill (ST 03 NE 49) at Combe Sydenham. [1,2] Four ponds are shown at ST 0640 3607, ST 0660 3609, ST 0730 3610 and ST 0740 3620. They are linked by a leat with weirs.  Local tradition says that they were constructed and worked by Sir Francis Drake. There is an irrigation scheme on the slope to the north.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a chain of seven ponds in Pond Wood.  The 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a chain of five ponds in Pond Wood, between ST 0640 3607 and ST 0700 3601, with two others nearer the manor.  Most of the fish ponds do not appear on the Stogumber Tithe Map. Instead, there is a large island divided between two land parcels, between c. ST 0664 3606 and c. ST 0711 3601. A pond exists to the east of the land parcels, which seems to have been extended to form two of the fish ponds shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The stream joins the river at c. ST 0747 3635. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. Sheet ST03NE.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. 1999.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. Sheet 48 (13).
- <7> SEM7939 Map: Standidge & Co, London. 1842. Stogumber Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0688 3613 (1106m by 236m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975289 (Original Monarch entry: 975289)
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE50
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975289
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34029
Record last edited
Oct 26 2015 10:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.