MSO8112 - Post-medieval tree-ring enclosure northeast of Frogwell Lodge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 9708 2848 Tumulus (NR)  Skilgate No 1, a tree clump circle.  As stated by Grinsell this feature is not a barrow but a tree ring. It consists of a bank with a ditch on each side and is similar to others in the vicinity (see MSO8113 and MSO8114).  Skilgate 1. Supposed barrow on Haddon Hill which is, as Authy 2 indicates, a tree-clump enclosure. Visited by Grinsell 8th April 1958, and A T Wicks 13th April 1928 who thought there was a barrow within the circle - listed by Grinsell as Skilgate 1a, 'doubtful or rejected'. (VCH and Allcroft mention barrows on Haddon Hill without being specific). [4-7] A well preserved, circular tree ring 33.6 metres in overall diameter comprising a well defined bank 3.7 metres wide and 0.7 metres high with slight external ditch 2 metres wide and 0.3 metres deep. [8, 9] The feature is depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1190 Article in serial: Ginsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. p38.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 4 August 1965.
- <4> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <5> SMO5476 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Somerset. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 1. W Boyd Dawkins, 184, 190, 166-7(MAP).
- <6> SMO5064 Monograph: Allcroft, A.H.. 1908. Earthwork of England: Prehistoric, Roman, Saxon, Danish, Norman, and Mediaeval. Macmillan (London). p 530.
- <7> SMO5358 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1911. The Victoria History of the County of Somerset. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 2. CH Bothamley, p 532.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 24 February 1998.
- <9> SMO5799 Report: Wilson-North, R.. 1998. Haddon Hill, Brompton Regis, Somerset: An archaeological survey by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. p 15.
- <10>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39432 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9708 2847 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SKILGATE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11603
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8120
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8367
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE1
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE16
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36491
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36522
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34009
Record last edited
Jan 28 2020 1:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.