MSO8105 - World War Two dugout on Selworthy Beacon (Monument)

Summary

A large amorphous mound measuring 23m by 18m and 1.2 metres high, is the remains of a dugout used as a "sub-control" during battle practices. It is situated near to where the battle run divided into three sections.

Please read the .

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status

Full Description

A large amorphous mound lies to the south of the tank firing circuit on Selworthy Beacon at SS 9195 4803. It was recorded using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project. The mound is 23 x 18 x 1.2m high. It is probably a mound of rubble resulting from the demolition of structures associated with the tank training circuit. [1] A possible Second World War observation post was visible during field investigation. The post is defined by a large circular mound measuring up to 1.2 metres high with a diameter of 23m. The mound is clearly visible on aerial photographs and is thought to be associated with the adjacent tank training circuit (MSO8107) and would have been used as part of the wider tank training activities in the area recorded as MMO627. [2,3] A dugout at Selworthy Beacon was used as "Sub-control" during battle practices. Discussion with a former range officer also indicated that this dugout was used as a control point when Range B was in use. The need for a dugout at this point - behind the firing point and thus presumably safe - when Range B was being used is strange. It may have been built specifically for use in battle practices, the route of which passed to the south of the B range circuit and might have put this area in danger. Selworthy Beacon was the first rallying point during battle practices, one troop of tanks advancing in single file westward up to this point, engaging targets to the north. At the end of this run, the area of this dugout would have been in the danger area for tanks engaging targets between Western and Eastern Brockholes. To the west of Selworthy Beacon, the battle run divided into three sections, hence the need for there to be some controlling authority located here. The range west of this was probably not clearly visible from the main control tower near Bratton Ball. [4]

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
  • <2> Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 11-JUL-1946.
  • <3> Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 162-163 17-APR-1979.
  • <4> Unassigned: James, Adrian. 19/06/2006. Oral or staff comments.

Map

Location

Grid reference SS 9194 4802 (point)
Map sheet SS94NW
Civil Parish SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (1)

Other Statuses/References

  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO949
  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12658
  • National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW156
  • Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132603
  • Somerset SMR PRN: 35870

Record last edited

Aug 17 2020 12:28PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.