MSO8076 - Post-medieval trackway between Meadow Cottage and East Lynch (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Low banks and shallow ditches forming a trackway connecting Venniford Cottages with East Lynch were visible on aerial photographs. [1-3] This feature had previously been mapped centred at SS 9288 4584; however, further inspection of  showed that the trackway was further north, centred at SS 9285 4602 and following the historic parish boundary (visible on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map). This has been corrected on the HER mapping. The description also mentioned that the trackway linked Venniford Cottages with East Lynch but this is not in the original source and is incorrect, as it links East Lynch with Meadow Cottage. [2,5]
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD HSL.UK. 71-177 Run 93 8734.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9245A, SS9246A. [Mapped feature: #44744 SS9245A, SS9246A]
- <3> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. Reference 1119221.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 17 July 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9285 4602 (84m by 227m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119221 (Pastscape entry: 1119221)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11601
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW53
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119221
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34007
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 3:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.