MSO8071 - Post-medieval fishponds at The Paddock (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Fishponds" are noted on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps of 1938 and 1962. These are depicted as four separate ponds with a complex of leats. [1, 2] Only one pond is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1974 map.  Observation of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey mapping noted three fishponds, rather than four as previously recorded. These ponds were seen to have roughly the same layout as on the 2014 MasterMap; the 2014 mapping showing the three ponds to be still present. [4-7]
- <1> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560. 1938, 34NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1962, 6" SS94NW.
- <3> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000. SS94NW.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7>XY SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41835 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9112 4580 (254m by 134m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: 20th Century footbridge at The Paddock (Monument) (MEM22998)
- Parent of: 20th Century sluice at The Paddock (Monument) (MEM23005)
- Parent of: Post-medieval boundary post near Luccombe (Monument) (MEM23006)
- Parent of: Post-medieval sluice at The Paddock (Monument) (MEM22991)
- Parent of: Post-medieval sluice at The Paddock (Monument) (MEM22992)
- Parent of: Post-medieval sluice at The Paddock (Monument) (MEM22993)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119183 (Pastscape entry: 1119183)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167514 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167514)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11582
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167514
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119183
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33988
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.