MSO8016 - Medieval cross in All Saints' Churchyard (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 9198 4680] A 14th century churchyard cross situated opposite the south porch of All Saints' Church. The calvary has three octagonal steps and the socket which is raised on a slight plinth, is worked to an octagon in its upper bed and to a square below.  The cross is as described. See GP AO/65/181/7 [2,7] Remains of churchyard cross, about 4 metres east of south aisle, Church of All Saints. Selworthy Village. Grade II*. 15th Century. [3,5] (SS 9199 4679) Cross (NR).  Additional bibliography.  Scheduled on 3 September 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  East of the south aisle of the Parish Church is a churchyard cross dating from the 15th Century, having a three stage calvary with a moulded plinth, dripstones and sunk quatrefoil panels with shields. The tapering octagonal shaft is broken at the top, but it is otherwise in good condition, and resembles a cross of similar date at Wootton Courtenay.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 7. 
- <1> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C.. 1877. An historical and descriptive account of the old stone crosses of Somerset. P. 112.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1965.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somerset (March 1962) 77.
- <4> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) West Somerset District (Exford et al) Somer (2 January 1986) 60.
- <6> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 35 (1890?) 1-20.
- <7> SMO1449 Photograph: 14TH CENTURY CHURHCYARD CROSS AT SELWORTHY FROM NORTH WEST. OS65/F181/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SSO1145 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 25/9/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <11> SEM6952 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Selworthy: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 5, 6, 12.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 9199 4679 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36787 (Original Monarch entry: 36787)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1076/26/107
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10740
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12035
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36787
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31237
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34859
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.