MSO8012 - Agnes' Fountain, Allerford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site labelled as 'Agnes Fountain'.  St Agnes' Fountain, Selworthy, listed as a holy well.  St Agnes' Fountain is a small spring in Allerford Plantation. There is no structure but large stones have been placed irregularly around it. See GP AO/65/181/3 [5?].  Monument scheduled on 16 October 2002.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  In 2002/3, the 'Holy Wells in Tarka Country' Project recorded Agnes Fountain as a 'holy well', which is generally described as 'a well or spring where there is a tradition of veneration or association with religious or magical experience'. National Trust archives detail the well being constructed in 1820 and the diary of the rector of Selworthy records in 1824 that the fountain was named after the youngest daughter of Sir Thomas Acland, who owned the Estate. Almost certainly the spring existed before it was named after this member of the Acland family and so perhaps should not be dismissed as an ancient site.  An old photograph shows a finger post at the fountain site. It names it 'Agnes Fountain'.  The site is named 'Agnes Fountain' on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map but changes to 'St Agnes Fountain' on the 1973-4 map. [10,11] The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SSO1264 Monograph: Horne, E. 1923. Holy Wells of Somerset. P. 52.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 July 1965.
- <4> SSO1118 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1/11/2002. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <5> SMO1451 Photograph: Palmer, R. St. Agnes' Fountain. OS65/F181/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <6> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SMO5329 Serial: Antiquity Publications Limited. 1927 -. Antiquity. 45 (1909), 176 (reference needs confirming).
- <8> SEM7969 Article in serial: Camp, P. 2009. Holnicote Estate Countryside News - January 2009.
- <9> SEM7971 Photograph: Frederick Robert Stenner Rice. c.1904. Agnes Fountain and associated fingerpost. B/W.
- <10> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <11> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <12> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 9047 4736 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36777 (Original Monarch entry: 36777)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11578
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36777
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33984
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 10:28AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.