MSO8005 - Mesolithic flints found at Hurlstone Point (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Mesolithic core, and flakes, etc., were found at Hurlstone Point Selworthy and donated to the County Museum, Taunton. (Accession Numbers 56.A.39, 50-51).  All these objects were found by Mr. A.D. Hallam on 14th February 1956: 56A 39 is a fragment of flint microlith found in the area SS 899 490. 56.A.50 is a pebble core found in the area SS 899 489. 56.A.51 is a core trimming from pebble found in the area SS 896 484. [2,3] Assuming that the grid references given by  are correct then the sites of these finds are as follows: SS 899 490. (56.A.39). A fragment of flint microlith found about 35 metres above Ordnance Datum to the west of a footpath on steep coastal slopes covered with bracken, gorse and scrub. SS 899 489. (56.A.50). A pebble core found about 45 metres above Ordnance Datum to the southeast of a footpath on steep slopes covered with bracken, gorse and scrub. SS 896 484. (56.A.51). A pebble core trimming found about 5 metres above Ordnance Datum in a field, now under pasture, west of Marland Lane. Note: Although  gives the find spot of this core as SS 899 484 this is probably erroneous and it should be SS 896 484 as described above.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 99 (1954), p7.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr AD Hallam, Taunton Castle Museum.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 July 65.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 November 1994.
- <5> SEM6715 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1995. Porlock Bay and Marsh: A Rapid Preliminary Assessment of the Cultural and Palaeoenvironmental Resource. P. 26.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35852, Extant 3 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 898 487 (303m by 602m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35852 (Original Monarch entry: 35852)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA165206 (National Trust HER entry: MNA165206)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11584
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA165206
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35852
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33990
Record last edited
Feb 3 2022 1:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.