MSO8005 - Mesolithic flints found at Hurlstone Point (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Mesolithic core, and flakes, etc., were found at Hurlstone Point Selworthy and donated to the County Museum, Taunton. (Accession Numbers 56.A.39, 50-51).  All these objects were found by Mr. A.D. Hallam on 14th February 1956: 56A 39 is a fragment of flint microlith found in the area SS 899 490. 56.A.50 is a pebble core found in the area SS 899 489. 56.A.51 is a core trimming from pebble found in the area SS 896 484. [2,3] Assuming that the grid references given by  are correct then the sites of these finds are as follows: SS 899 490. (56.A.39). A fragment of flint microlith found about 35 metres above Ordnance Datum to the west of a footpath on steep coastal slopes covered with bracken, gorse and scrub. SS 899 489. (56.A.50). A pebble core found about 45 metres above Ordnance Datum to the southeast of a footpath on steep slopes covered with bracken, gorse and scrub. SS 896 484. (56.A.51). A pebble core trimming found about 5 metres above Ordnance Datum in a field, now under pasture, west of Marland Lane. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 99 (1954), p7.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr AD Hallam, Taunton Castle Museum.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 July 65.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 November 1994.
- <5> SEM6715 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1995. Porlock Bay and Marsh: A Rapid Preliminary Assessment of the Cultural and Palaeoenvironmental Resource. P. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 898 487 (303m by 602m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35852 (Original Monarch entry: 35852)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA165206 (National Trust HER entry: MNA165206)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11584
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA165206
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35852
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33990
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.