MSO7954 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A sub circular mound lies on Porlock Common to the west of the course of the Porlock Railway (MSO7906) at SS 84312 46076. The mound measures 3 metres north to south, 4 metres east to west and is 0.75 metres high. It lies in an area of peat cutting and general disturbance and is a product of this activity. The mound was surveyed using GPS as part of the RCHME East Exmoor Project.  A large area of disturbed ground is visible on aerial photographs, consisting of several irregular cuts and mounds. The large sub circular mound mentioned above is in the centre of this area (represented by point data in addition to the wider polygon denoting the area of visible peat cutting activity). It appears to be the remains of post-medieval peat cutting activity. Similar activity can be seen elswehere on Porlock Common. [2, 3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1>XY SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 August 1997. [Mapped feature: #46933 ]
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 4122 (17 October 1952).
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #46932 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 84305 46078 (146m by 109m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1090883 (Original Monarch entry: 1090883)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO579
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12731
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW50
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1090883
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57156
Record last edited
Jan 25 2021 3:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.