MSO7950 - Post-medieval boundary stone south of Black Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An edge set stone was found during field reconnaissance at SS 83280 43839. It comprises a single slab, measuring 0.45 metres long, 0.08 metres wide and 0.12 metres high; it is oriented northwest to southeast. It may be assocaited with the stone setting MSO7903, which lies some 95 metres to the southeast. It should also be noted that it lies very close to the Porlock parish boundary, and it may have been set up as a temporary marker for this purpose. Surveyed with GPS, August 1996.  A small stone on its side, thought to be a boundary stone of the Royal Forest and a parish boundary stone between Porlock and Exmoor. It is located at SS 83287 43845.  A recumbent stone slab measuring 0.45m x 0.12m x 0.09m is visible in a slight depression within thick molinia on Porlock Allotment. The stone could be linked to nearby stone settings, however, it is also located on the boundary between Porlock and Exmoor parish, suggesting it is likely a boundary stone. The stone was once recorded to be upright, and has since fallen recumbent, likely from animal rubbing. No socket could be located during the site visit. Whilst the stone could easily be concealed by vegetation there are no threats visible in the area that may cause damage. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. R Wilson-North 12-AUG-1996 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2>XY SEM7219 Unpublished document: Binnie, C.. 2009. Boundary Stones at Porlock Allotment. [Mapped feature: #30363 ]
- <3> SSO636 Map: 1996. SS84SW. 147.
- <4> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO7950.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 83280 43839 (4m by 4m) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1072588 (Original Monarch entry: 1072588)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10205
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW147
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1072588
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15653
Record last edited
Dec 17 2018 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.