MSO7947 - Field bank, Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 8411 4397 on the very steep east facing slopes of Weir Water is a field bank. It runs along the contour close to the crest of the natural slope, and turns downslope at either end. It therefore seems to have been created to enclose these precipitously steep slopes. It is probably post-medieval in date. Surveyed with GPS, August 1996. (1) The field boundary bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, running for approximately 100 metres along the 400 metre ordnance datum contour, on a roughly north-west to south-east orientation. As described above, the boundary appears to turn downslope at either end, but on the aerial photographs available to the survey, these lateral arms appear to be largely eroded and defined by the resultant gulleys or channels. (2-3)
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 12/08/1996.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4084-6. 11/07/1946.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3054-5 08-NOV-1952.
- <4> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8409 4397 (91m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1072574 (Pastscape entry: 1072574)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO523
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10201
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW144
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1072574
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15649
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.