MSO7947 - Post-medieval field boundary on Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 8411 4397 on the very steep east facing slopes of Weir Water is a field bank. It runs along the contour close to the crest of the natural slope, and turns downslope at either end. It therefore seems to have been created to enclose these precipitously steep slopes. It is probably post-medieval in date. Surveyed with GPS, August 1996.  The field boundary bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, running for approximately 100 metres along the 400 metre ordnance datum contour, on a roughly north-west to south-east orientation. As described above, the boundary appears to turn downslope at either end, but on the aerial photographs available to the survey, these lateral arms appear to be largely eroded and defined by the resultant gulleys or channels. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 August 1996.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4084-6 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3054-5 (8 November 1952).
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38968 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1072574, Extant 19 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8409 4397 (91m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1072574 (Pastscape entry: 1072574)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO523
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10201
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW144
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1072574
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15649
Record last edited
Jun 19 2021 9:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.