MSO7941 - Medieval boundary stone south of Black Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A stone is reported in this position at SS 8331 4360.  'B.S' is printed on the 1978 Ordnance Survey map - only one of a number along the Exmoor-Porlock parish boundary.  A Royal Forest boundary stone, which also marks the parish boundary between Porlock and Exmoor. It is located at SS 83319 43613. This large stone is on its side, on the north side of a deep livestock erosion hollow, just 20 metres south of the aborted Simonsbath to Porlock railway. The stone has a weathered top, which suggests that it stood for a long time, giving it a medieval date or older. The stone socket has not been located.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The stone is marked "B.S." on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1375 Unassigned: McDonnell, R.. 1976. Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 08/12/1976.
- <2> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000. SS84SW.
- <3> SEM7219 Unpublished document: Binnie, C.. 2009. Boundary Stones at Porlock Allotment. Some detail in R. Wilson-North's response.
- <4> SEM7664 Report: Bray, L.. 2011. A Fallen Boundary Stone, Madacombe, Exmoor: Results of Archaeological Recording.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974868, Extant 19 June 2021.
- <6>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38038 ]
|Grid reference||SS 83316 43603 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974868 (Pastscape entry: 974868)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11545
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW124
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974868
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33940
Record last edited
Jun 19 2021 10:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.